Tuesday, January 10, 2012

things to save, things to burn


I just watched the romantic comedy "Leap Year" and although it won't win any awards for originality, the moist-y open green landscapes of Ireland, as well as its spunky-and-hunky male love interest, captivated me long enough to ponder the big question of life: if I had sixty seconds to run around my house and grab things, what would I save? (this was a question posed by the guy to the girl early in the movie. the answer meant EVERYTHING!) Here is my response.

Things to Save

Daniel
Poundy (my pound puppy) (I am not a good namer of things.)
Gold earrings and cross from my grandmother
Diesel Jeans, size 30: still a chance. still a chance.
journals (actual entry excerpt 2000: I met another hot guy named Dave! whaddup with that! Had a great time at Freehold Chili's. He paid the bill. He IM'd me but hasn't actually called. But I have a good feeling about this one :) !!)

Things to Burn

all the furniture. cost so much and took so much time to pick out. all those trips to Raymour and Flanagin, Macy's, all the arguing. Up in flames! Second time around: weird modern stuff that Daniel likes that always looks like a neon, hovering orb.

diet books, so many. the body will be like the house, burning down: I will start over in a new home without anything at all that makes me feel bad.

fourteen half-empty bottles of shampoo I didn't like, currently in the closet.

hundreds of cracked CD jewel cases, actual CD's long missing or in my car, scratched beyond recognition

many, many socks without partners. They will turn and burn and writhe and perish in the flames. They will reunite with their long-gone mates in sock heaven. May god have mercy on their soles!!! Ha, get it?

state mandated benchmark essays I have to grade by next week. oh well!*



*just kidding. i care about the kids. that's why I keep my grading at school.





1 comment:

  1. "many, many socks without partners. They will turn and burn and writhe and perish in the flames. They will reunite with their long-gone mates in sock heaven. May god have mercy on their soles!!! Ha, get it?" You should feel like a hell for writing that :D

    ReplyDelete