Sunday, January 29, 2012

friday, friday

Sometimes, I know it's counterintuitive, I get oddly sad on Fridays. Something about leaving the fixed certainty of the workweek, where I know who I am and what my limitations are, for the weekend version of myself. The "me" that makes dentist appointments, organizes my clothes, hand washes pantyhose,returns pants to Kohl's, tries to makes grocery lists, makes social plans so I don't feel like life is boring and predictable, calls my parents, catches up on emails, looks for a cheap coffee table, worries about the mini-lakes in my backyard, frets about my lack of dishwasher, ponders washing the kitchen floor, shops for shoes, vacuums, and sometimes sits vapidly with a plate of French Toast and watches a lot of TV.

It's randomly stressful. Weekend life seems daunting on that drive home from happy hour on Friday. All the chores...the paper grading and planning...and the keen desire to do something fun, have fun! It's all too much sometimes.

Friday I got home at 5 and flopped in front of the TV in bed. Dirty Dancing was on, thank god! Underdog girl with pointy nose lands smokin' hot dance instructor. It was enough to quell that icky Friday feeling.

Looking back on the weekend (it being Sunday morning now) I feel so happy and relaxed now, I don't know how to account for the Friday ickiness except to say I'm going to consciously work on enjoying the weekend more and not angsting over my to-do list. By the way, I still haven't graded one essay.



No comments:

Post a Comment