Saturday, November 12, 2011

Things I Wish There Were Specific Words For

1. When I take a sip of something that I think is Sprite, but it turns out to be water. That feeling of disappointment mixed with it's-not-that-big-of-a-deal.

2. the feeling of being let down when I don't see anything in my email inbox, even at school, when emails usually signal more work.

3. the odd emotional tug on my heart when other people's children are being difficult and my friends say, "usually, she's so good" or "he's not usually like this." I feel a bit anxious and a bit sad and a bit bad in general but not enough to label it with those actual words.

4. the feeling that I need to talk to my mom when I'm in Shop-rite and I can't figure out what to cook for dinner but somehow I won't just call her and ask for help. It's not really laziness, not really pride, but something else! What is it??

5. the weird stab of something like annoyance, but also tinged with envy, when my husband gets the pancakes and I get the eggs and I want to split but he's not that interested in my eggs.

6. the awkward feeling I get at school when I keep bumping into the same person all day and I'm not sure if I have to say hi to them each time.

7.the urge to tell everyone how and when I lost my virginity but I know it's inappropriate.

3 comments:

  1. That feeling you get when someone mispronounces a word or says a phrase wrong repeatedly, so you get the urge to correct them, but you know you really shouldn't so it doesn't embarrass them, but then you also feel like maybe you should so that they don't mispronounce the word or say the phrase wrong in front of other more important people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The odd feeling of "maternal" pride when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are perfect. This is starting to look like a real blog! Thanks for saying you are proud, aweigel. :) Jill, I believe the word we are looking for is "problematize."

    ReplyDelete