Monday, October 24, 2011

I'm Trying to Be a Blogger

Hi friends! I'm trying to do this blogging thing again...mostly as a forum for my poetry. I would love feedback!

Here's what's on my mind today: this girl I went to elementary school with, Krista, was my best friend for about three weeks. I remember we had the same panda bear patterned button down shirt and yellow leggings (purchased from Bradlees). She was tall and blonde and beautiful; I worshipped her and hated her, too.

In third grade, I learned, really learned, about feeling ugly.

I was looking at a picture of myself on Facebook after completing a 5k...all I could see was this pernicious blue vein that bulges from my forehead that lately has been in every picture of me. I wonder if this vein has always been there or if it's one of those weird things that starts happening in my thirties?

That vein really got me stirred up. I tried to focus on how good I felt, completing the race with a not-horrible time considering my lack of practice and all the hills.  But that third grade inner voice called me up...the one that says, Krista is so pretty, everyone wants to stand near her.

Where did you go, Krista? Probably standing in front of some mirror, mourning every line. Does she remember us, the two girls laughing in line for the water fountain, gap-toothed and happy?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment