Sunday, July 22, 2012

I Ate You, California


My husband and I went to California for nine days; it seemed the most obvious choice with the impending costly rotation of home repairs/improvements and my biological clock and all that (that's said with playful irony meant to make you admire our hip disregard for playing by the rules! that's how we roll!)  Just when I thought I was the most financially foolhardy person in my relationship, Dan took me on a whirlwind tour of Central California and we literally ate our way down Coastal Highway 1.  No regrets! Here's the epicurean highlight list (strangely, I only gained like 3 pounds):

1.  Clams in San Francisco's Chinatown: "you can't order two. they're huge," said Dan. I showed him! I showed them all!
2.  Dark chocolate hot fudge sundae in Ghirandelli Square: to be fair, Dan had most of it. In fact, he suggested two separate tables so he could have alone time with his ice cream.
3.  Half Moon Bay: Lobster Roll at Sam's with views of the sea and attractive people. A few days and many miles later in Golden Gate Park, just when I was saddened at the cost of the Japanese Tea Garden, I spotted Sam's Mobile Food Truck and shrieked. I never thought I'd  see that lobster roll again. It was like the ending of The Color Purple when Celie finally sees her long lost sister and they sob in each other's arms.
4.  Cinnamon pull apart in Carmel-by-the-Sea-- the only thing we could afford there....it was hot and sweet and gooey (I'll let you insert a joke here like 'that's what she said' etc)
5.  Avocado and Asparagus Eggs Benedict at the Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obispo
6.  Grilled Corn with Chili Powder at Farmer's Market, San Luis Obispo
7.  Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena: Artichoke with impressive garlic lemon aioli that changed Dan's feelings on spiky vegetables. I didn't have the heart (no pun intended) to tell him that aioli is just hot mayonnaise.
8. And finally...turkey and fig jam sandwich in Napa Valley at some fancy, beautiful winery...the taste of which was not spoiled by my tipsy fall down a four foot ditch. Damn you, peach tree. Damn you. I was just trying to take your picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment